Friday 2 March 2012

Cardross Moss

Moss on Oak Facing North
I spent the last weekend dog sitting at Cardross Estate.  While walking them around the parkland with the kids I came across this oak with what I think is a pretty definitive indicator to all points north.  I did cheat and use a compass to check - perfect and the first branch up on the left is facing east north east.  Being in an area of parkland, our specimen has lots of 'personal' space and is not sheltered from the prevailing south west winds.  A good example of moss growing on the north side of a tree.

Yesterday, Craig and I went up Ben Aan - the small pointed peak, or little mountain - with an entire school (of four pupils).  We were invited to come along (but not lead) on their sponsored walk and were delighted to attend / help out / share some knowledge with this fantastic little Trossachs School.  We took an age to climb its 461 metre ascent - I think it stands at 533m above sea level, having plenty of rest stops, playtimes and 'Craig wants to teach stuff' sessions.  Two hours later and assorted teacher, parents and toddling siblings were at the top surveying a moody vista:
View West Along Loch Katrine
Of course, because I'm not class favourite Ranger, my attempts to talk of the sun being due south at solar midday drove them to navel gaze.  Oh well, the eldest was 8. The parents were interested though!

3 comments:

  1. Do you do SLOW WALKING trips ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that until I saw Countryfile last week. I thought barefoot walking was slow enough, but going even slower looks like a great activity. It's something I'd like to incorporate.

      Delete
  2. Tim...you are both their favourite rangers!! Thank you for coming with us!

    ReplyDelete